Sunday, June 3, 2012

Hey, you there!!




Hey, you there!!

It’s been years, but I still miss my grandmother and I will always miss her till the end. I don’t know how to start and what to write because the emptiness is irreplaceable. 

Something happened today that reminds me of her. Let me share it with you all. 

There was a meeting in our flat, attended by all the members of our apartment. One of the members was accompanied by her little daughter, who otherwise would have been left alone.While the mother was busy in the meeting, I tried my best to keep the girl engaged with games and cartoons.

I was closely watching everything the girl was doing and so was my mother. We both found an unusual behavior, which was indeed sensitive. After every few minutes, the kid was peeping through the curtain to check, whether her mother was still in our living room. My mother suddenly asked her, “What do you do when your mom is at work and not with you?” The kid replied, “When I miss her too much I give her a call.” 

This took me back to my childhood, when I used to have some priceless moments with my Grandma.

I remember, my grandmother peeping through all the rooms. It was funny to me then! But gradually I realized, she only wanted to check whether we were in the house or not. It’s not that she wanted to talk, but to see whether those people whom she called ‘the close ones’ is at home. In case she finds no one, she used to call out, “Riti, you there?” I was a very naughty kid. I silently watch my grandmother moving away. But then the way she used to turn away, always make me sad. So, I used to jump and appear in front of her out of nowhere, which was irritating to my Grandma and she complained, “toke daklam sara dilina!” (Why don’t you reply?) Stupid me, I trod away smiling and jumping. 

But today I do realize no matter how busy we are; there would always be a need for someone; for whom you want to peep through the curtains or check every room of your house and shout “You there?” and then see a face appearing with a smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment